Thursday, February 14, 2008

Easy Peasy Headband


I made this really simple headband the other night. It is the second one I have made and both have turned out really soft and hold my hair back well. I used a ribbed stitch which I also like to think of as crochet elastic, as it has a bit of stretch in it. I use this stitch a lot. It seems to be a foundation stitch of my patterns. This is super quick and easy, so perfect for anyone new to crochet.
Easy Peasy Headband
8 ply cotton - not a great amount is needed. This is a great way to use up left over yarn.
Size 4mm Hook

Sc = single crochet

To Begin:

Chain 5
Row 1: Sc in second chain from hook and sc in each ch to end (4 sc) 1ch, turn.
Row 2: Skip first sc. Sc in the back loop each sc, ending with a sc in the turning 1 ch. (4 sc) 1 ch, turn.
Row 3 - 68 : Repeat row 2.
Fasten off.

As you are nearing the 68th row check the headband by wrapping it around your head. When you have about a 2.5cm gap left between the ends, without stretching, then it is big enough.

Join the ends together with sc and weave in the ends.

Viola! One headband ready to wear.
I embellished my headband with a simple heart. The free pattern can be found here

Here is another great website with a free pattern for embellishing crochet.


If you would prefer your headband to be wider, then just add more chains to your foundation. I made one for Mum using 9 chains to begin with. She says it is the perfect width.

No comments: